Pages

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Tortillas, black beans and fried egg

One of my favorite food items to make when I was a single girl living solo was tortillas. I often craved the texture and flavor but I also found that even when there was nothing to eat in the house, I always had the ingredients to make tortillas. So tonight, with Marc being away, I decided I would have a typical single girl dish.

I started by making my tortillas. The recipe below has been cut into 1/3 in order to make just enough for one single girl. This recipe also cuts down on dishes because you only really need to use a 1/3 cup measure and a small mixing bowl.

While my tortillas were cooking, I opened a can of black beans. I mashed half of them using some of the reserved liquid from the can and then mixed the mash together with the other half can of whole beans. Once my tortillas were finished I quickly fried up an egg. I then ate the beans and egg with my tortillas. Mmmm, mmm!

If I had had the following ingredients in my house I would have added them to the beans for a little extra flavor: cilantro, onions, tomatoes. Or you could even top with pico de gallo, guacamole and/or cheese.


Tortilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/3 of a 1/3 cup oil
  • pinch of salt
Place flour, water, oil, and salt in bowl. Using a fork, mix ingredients together until dough sticks to fork. Knead the dough with your hands. Separate dough into 6 balls. Roll out each ball to form tortillas. Cook in a small frying pan over medium heat until golden on each side. Enjoy!

No comments: