Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Sausage Stew Sandwich

Whenever I'm gone for the weekend I know I am going to come home to some sort of meat product in the fridge. Usually I expect sausage but sometimes I get a surprise with steak or chicken. Since Marc is out of town for work I am trying my best to eat up leftover food items in the house, hence the inspiration for tonight's meal.

Dinner tonight was a take on one of our favorite meals (see recipe below). Unfortunately I didn't have all the ingredients in the house and seeing as the goal was not to go to the grocery store I adapted what I had to make a meal. I included beans, sausage, a sliced fresh tomato, diced tomatoes from the can, pepper, basil and marjoram. I then put the stew onto a leftover roll and had a sausage stew sandwich. Quite tasty and it will definitely make Marc jealous when I tell him about it.



Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew
  • olive oil
  • 1 pound low-fat Italian turkey sausage
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 can (15.5oz) cannelloni beans (or other white beans) drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14oz) can diced Italian style tomatoes in their juice
Heat a little oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add sausages cover and cook until browned. Rotate sausages until browned all over and cooked through. While the sausages are cooking, dice celery, onion, and bell pepper.

Once sausages are cooked, remove them from the skillet. Add peppers, onion, celery and garlic to skillet and sautee for 3 minutes (add additional olive oil if needed). While vegetables are sautéing, slice sausage. Add sausage and cook for about 5 to 6 minutes until browned.

Add oregano, basil, thyme, tomatoes with their juice and beans. Simmer over medium low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: