Pages

Thursday, July 09, 2009

AT&T National Golf Tournament

Last weekend M and I volunteered at the AT&T National Golf Tournament hosted by Tiger Woods in Maryland at the Congressional Golf Course. We didn't really know what we were signing up for but we knew by volunteering we would be helping to raise money for FAN, a non-profit that M is involved with here in DC.

At 8 o'clock we arrived at the golf course and were quickly shuttle off to the concession stand. Our project for the next 6 hours was to cook, assemble and package hot dogs and hamburgers. The work wasn't strenuous but it was most definitely monotonous. It reminded me of grad school when I interned at a school kitchen and was responsible for cooking and bagging the daily tater tots. The hardest part of the day was the lunchtime rush when all our assembled burgers and dogs flew out of the heating cabinets and they were literally taking the burgers as we wrapped them.

The benefit of working in the concession stand was that were able to eat/drink whatever we wanted. I think M had about 7 Gatorades, it was so hot, and we also sampled the hot dogs/hamburgers. When it was all said and done I walked away with an ice cream. Mmmm mmm!

The highlight of the day was taking five minutes out of the assembly line to watch Tiger putt and tee off at the two holes just outside our tent. This of course led to more customers and more work but it was really fun to watch him golf. Afterwards we wandered around a little bit and looked at the other golfers still on the course. For my first trip to a real golf course I have to say, all in all, it was pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Paige said...

I think that is the first name I have seen you type on your blog...sounds like a fun time!