If you want deliciously meaty meatballs then this is the recipe for you. Delicious on top of spaghetti with marinara sauce and the spattering of currants provides a nice surprise here and there. This is a mixture of a recipe I found in my Mixer Bible and on the food blog Simply Recipes plus the meatball expertise of a friend.
- 2 slices white bread
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 pound ground beef (at least 16% fat)
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- herbs to taste (we used a mix of Italian, basil, oregano, fennel)
- 1 tsp salt (I would omit this next time)
- ground black pepper to taste
- currants (as desired, I think we used 1/4 cup)
In a large skillet over medium heat sear the meatballs. Add marinara sauce (we used 1 jar of Prego), reduce heat to simmer, cover and continue cooking. While meatballs are cooking cook your pasta and throw your garlic bread into the oven (french baguette sliced, spread with butter and minced garlic). When pasta is done, check insides of meatballs (no pink = ready). Serve and enjoy!