Pages

Monday, March 03, 2008

Snickerdoodles

Not too long ago I was hanging out with my bud from Damn Delicious and we both realized that we had cookbooks that we never use. So instead of just letting them sit on our respective bookshelves collecting dust, we decided to engage in a cookbook exchange. My cookbook of entrees for her cookbook of desserts. Lucky for me this is one of the cookbooks I have had on my want list for a while. So here in all their glory are the snickerdoodles from Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess.

I used to think snickerdoodles were sugar cookies with cinnamon on top, but not Nigella's version. Just like her description these little gems are like "oven-baked doughnuts - small, cinnamony, with a drier crumb than the dunkin' sort". However, I have yet to decide whether I like them that way.

Nigella's Snickerdoodles

  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon

    Preheat oven to 350F.

    In a large bowl cream butter with 1/3 cup sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla until smooth. Add dry ingredients (flour, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt) and mix to form dough.

    Mix cinnamon and 2 tbsp sugar together in a shallow bowl. Make balls out of the dough and then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar. Arrange on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Enjoy!

  • 1 comment:

    K.S. said...

    well, they look pretty cute. i'll let you know when i try a recipe from your cookbook. right now my fridge has peanut butter, jam, bread, soy sauce, lemon juice, parsley, and two eggs in it. i don't think i'll be cooking anything anytime soon...