Pages

Monday, March 03, 2008

List #3 - Groceries

I have to admit I'm not the best at grocery shopping. I usually go to the store and just stock up on staples without actually buying anything specific for a meal. After being around empty boxes of food and talking about food choices all day with my patients (I'm a Registered Dietitian) I just don't want to spend the time wandering around the grocery store comparing products. That's probably why the majority of my foods come from the produce section, no labels there. My favorite time to grocery shop is during the work week at the middle of the day; no lines, space to wheel your cart around, and sufficiently stocked shelves. Luckily, working so close to home I can accomplish that during my lunch break.

Last week I did a pretty big shop at both Trader Joes and the local grocery store so this week I only have a few items to pick up. Here's what's on the list this week:
Grocery List
  • dried milk (so I can make bread in my bread machine)
  • bananas
  • apples
  • lemon (there's a madiera loaf recipe I've been dying to make which has no madiera but does have lemon)
  • plain nonfat yogurt (the cereal I currently have tastes better with yogurt than milk)
  • olive oil
  • reduced sodium soy sauce (after living in the chinese area of LA for three and a half years I can't live without a bottle in my house)
  • chocolate chips (I always have to have chocolate in the house, just in case)
  • cereal (I'll probably look for one my patients eat a lot because I need the box for demonstration on what not to eat, but then I'll end up buying one that is similar but healthier. I.E. more than 3g fiber and less than 12g sugar)
  • Frozen veggies (always a good staple to have in the house)

No comments: