Pages

Saturday, September 01, 2007

I'm Ready to Run!

Now that I'm back home, unpacked and settled in I was finally able to lace up my running shoes and hit the local trails. On Thursday I followed the local bike/running trail towards Shirlington. Although it was a good trail the scenery wasn't all that impressive, so this morning when I got to the trail head I tried the other direction toward the Mount Vernon Trail. It seemed like a matter of minutes before I was easily jogging along the Potomac River enjoying the view out over the water with a cool breeze blowing across my hot pink face. It's a little different running in humidity but at least I still have a good pace (an average of an 8 minute mile).

Not only was the view fantastic but there were so many people out there. Familys on a weekend bike ride, runners decked out for their training runs, in-line skaters, power walkers, and even bird watchers. It was awesome.

Here is a map of the trails near my house. You can see on the top left corner where the yellow and red lines meet at Mount Vernon Avenue. On Thursday I followed the yellow trail to the left, today I followed the red trail to the right and over to the Mount Vernon Trail.



If you want to see the complete trail map for the city of Alexandria, click here.

No comments: