Pages

Monday, July 24, 2006

New Friends

So today was the start of a new session here at the Institute. Doesn't that make it sound like a mental institute of sorts? Anyway, it seems as though we have about 20 new students this month. A much smaller group than last month, much younger group and the majority are females. But regardless it looks like it's going to be a good month.
 
I am in the same classroom as I was in last month so I get the comfort of having the same desk. Not that it really matters but I did find the room quite comfortable last month. As of today there are three of us in my class: Brandon from Whittier, Bianca from Canada, and me from Monterey Park. Our teacher thinks that we might be getting more students but we have yet to find out. Unfortunately I haven't really had a chance to meet or get to know many of the new students. I got to see them all in the zocalo this afternoon when we met up with our guĂ­as but besides that I haven't had a chance to talk to many of them.
 
This month is going to be a challenge because I really want to get the most out of this program. So that means pushing myself to work really hard. I am going to take Wednesday afternoons to focus specifically on nutrition terminology which should be quite the challenge. I want to try to find some resources in spanish while I am here because, ideally, I want to do my master's project in both english and spanish. So we'll see how that turns out. I also need to work on my speaking abilities. Last month was all about the grammar and verb conjugations this month I need to focus on making sure I am talking correctly. I may be talking slow but at least people will understand what I am saying. So much to do and so little time left in which to accomplish it all!
 
It's weird to think that as of today I only have three weekends left here. This weekend I am going to visit my sister here at her work, she works at a local zoo. The following weekend Irene will be here and we'll be doing all sorts of fun stuff. And then for the third and final weekend I am planning a trip to the beach. Then it will be time to return to California, hopefully confident in my Spanish abilities.

No comments: