Pages

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Activities

So this week has been full of fun new activities. Monday we tried to go to Luchas Libre- WWF mexican style. Apparently a lot of Mexicans were interested in Monday's fight because the tickets were sold out. Not a big deal for me because I have another month. So that means I have four more Mondays to see Las Luchas.
 
Tuesday night I finally took a dancing class with one of the other students. We showed up at 6 and got a private cumbia (Mexican Salsa) lesson for the first twenty minutes. As a woman, it's a very easy dance. Basic step and easy to follow. As a guy I have no idea whether it is hard or easy. But I am thinking about adding this to the dance lessons for my rehearsal dinner at my wedding, you know 15 years from now. During this lesson other people showed up and eventually the real dance class started or should I say aerobics class started. The music was turned on and we danced everything from disco to marengue to salsa to chacha to hustle to who knows what! Definitely not what I was expecting but definitely fun. Plus it was the first time since being here I have actually worked up a sweat and got some exercise. Maybe I should do this more often so I make sure to fit into the bridesmaid dress.
 
Wednesday was my final excursion here and we headed off to Tecali. The name derives from two words: teti or piedra which means rock and calli or casa which means house (Rock House or House of Rocks). The city is known for its marble and onyx. We first visited a Franciscan convent circa 1540 and then the fabrica de marmol y onyx. It was amazing to watch the craftsmen turn a rock into a beautifully carved elephant. It gives you a whole new appreciation for marble and craftsmanship. Do you know how to tell the difference between marble and onyx? Onyx is translucent, marble isn't.
 
Today, thursday we have our final dinner with all the students of this month. It's hard to believe that come this weekend, everyone but four students will be leaving the institute. It's sad to see so many of my friends leave but I am excited to meet new people and be reenergized by their enthusiasm to be here. Apparently there will be about 25 new students. Less people than this month due in part to a warning put out by the American Government due to political unrest. It's too bad because Puebla is a city of Calderon supporters so there really isn't much going on here. No big protests or marches.
 
And, saving the best for last . . .  my roommate from Los Angeles is coming to visit next weekend! That means I have one week from today to plan out everything I want to show her. It also means we get to stay in a hotel and I will finally have a hot shower for more than 5 minutes and it will be hot enough to actually use the cold water. I can't wait to show her all the exciting things here and to finally, after four years, travel together again.
 
I guess that's all for now. I am going to run home and get all gussied up for tonights dinner. It starts at 8:30 and rumor has it that it will go until 12. Then afterwards a group of my friends and I are going out to Cafe Rumba, a disco. Tomorrow for class we are watching the movie Madagascar (in spanish of course!) because my teacher already expects us to be very tired from tonights outing. Therefore I probably won't post tomorrow but look forward to hearing about the new students next week! Have a great weekend!

No comments: