Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Bebidas

"Quiero agua, por favor." Say this sentence here and you have no idea what you are going to end up with. Agua here refers to a very watered down version of juice in the strangest of flavors. There's cucumber with lemon, cucumber with alfalfa, and beet. Then there's the normal ones like watermelon, mango, pineapple, and papaya. I actualy like the strange ones better than the normal ones because I am used to juice of mango, pineapple and papaya. The other good drinks here are horchata (rice milk) and jamaica (tastes like cranberry but is hibiscus).
 
The other interesting beverage here is the "milk" I get for breakfast. I say "milk" because it is dried milk with water. At first I thought I was just getting warm milk with my cereal, but then I heard my mom adding water to the powder in the glass, stirring it and presenting it to me at the table. It does the job for cereal but I am definitely not drinking it on its own anymore. Oh, how I long for a glass of real milk.
 
And lastly there's the chocolate caliente. Depending on the cafe you can either end up with normal hot chocolate or a cup of warm chocolate pudding. Both tastey but there's something less satisfying about getting a cup of warm pudding when you were looking for a drink.

No comments: