Pages

Sunday, November 01, 2009

Butternut Squash Apple Soup

The last time I was at Costco I saw that they had cubed butternut squash available. Feeling inspired I decided to bring it home to add to our mixed grilled vegetables that we usually make. After a few days, and a turn in the weather, I decided the squash was much better suited for soup. After searching around I found this recipe at Simply Recipes. Let me tell you it is the perfect twist on a basic butternut squash soup.

Ingredients
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs of celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped or 1 2lb package of prepared butternut squash
  • 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped (squash and apple should be at a 3 to 1 ratio)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth**
  • 1 pinch each of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pepper
Combine butter, onion, celery, and carrot in large saucepan or wok. Cook for 5 minutes or until onion is transparent. Add squash, apple, broth and spices. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Puree.


**I must admit I added an extra cup of stock because I bought a 4 cup container of stock and I hate having one cup left over just sitting in the fridge. To accommodate the extra liquid I let my soup simmer a little longer (about 30-40 minutes) to allow the liquid to reduce. I also like the added flavor from this method.

1 comment:

John said...

Sounds yummy!!