Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dismissed

About a month ago I received a ticket for "Failure to Secure DC Tags" while parked outside of M's apartment. As it turns out, if you park over night more than twice in a 180 day period in the District of Columbia without DC license plates you have to register your car per the ROSA rules (Registered Out of State Automobile). The first ticket was a warning and exactly two weeks later it was a $100 ticket.

So today, I decided to head to court to deny the ticket and try to get it dismissed. I arrived at the court house and checked in at the information desk, almost exactly like checking in at the DMV. They give you a ticket with a number and tell you to take a seat and wait. After about a half an hour my number was finally called and I was sent to another room. Assuming that it was my turn for a hearing I was a little surprised when the judge was not in the office already, so I took my seat at the head of the table and waited.

Slowly but surely the chairs along the walls filled up with person after person, also there to contest their tickets. I suddenly had the feeling that I was not supposed to be sitting in the chair I was in which was only affirmed by the appearance of the judge and the request to please take a chair against the wall. Not exactly how I wanted to start out with the judge.

After swearing us in and explaining our pleas (admit, admit with reason, deny) he called my number and I was able to sit back in my original seat. First I had to state my name and address for the record. Then he read my violation and I entered my plea of deny. He then asked for supporting evidence. At first it didn't seem like he was going to let me off because the "visitor pass" I had secured after mailing my information in to the DMV was not valid for overnight parking despite the fact that it did not say that anywhere on the residential visitor parking permit. In the end he asked for proof of registration of my vehicle in Virginia and proof that I lived in an apartment there (electricity bill). The last bit of information that he needed was why I visited DC so often, I explained it was because that is where my boyfriend lives. In the the ticket was dismissed due to the statement of fact, "The person is a resident of Virginia thus not required to obtain DC tags." Phew!

I have to say I was so nervous that my voice was shaking and my hands were trembling. I don't think that hurt my chances of getting off, plus I was a lot younger then the other people in the room. I also think it was a good idea on my side to throw in "Yes, sir" "No, sir" and "Thank you, sir". Another item off of the to-do list before moving!

1 comment:

LPM said...

Very brave of you to go! Glad it was worth the trouble. -Lindsay