Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Non-traditional Collard Greens



About a month ago I went to a conference in Atlanta. While I was there we did an activity where each person at the table had two minutes to teach everyone else at the table something they knew how to do really well. While I taught everyone else how to check their blood sugar, another lady at the table taught us how to cook collard greens. I have to admit that a lot of stuff she said to do, I didn't, but I did finally have the guts to cook some greens.

One reason I haven't liked greens in the past is the saltiness of them. But when cooking them yourself you can control this. I also love the flavor of the greens without the smokey flavor often added to them. I guess the south is rubbing off on me, but not completely.

Ingredients
1 bunch of collard greens
1 small onion
olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
Roma tomatoes

Separate leaves and using a sharp knife, remove the hard stalks from each leaf. I did this by folding the leaf in half and cutting off the stalk side. Stack leaves, roll and slice into ribbons. Place leaves in salad spinner, fill with water and wash really well. Spin dry.


Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until transparent. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Add greens and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer over low heat until cooked down. Add diced tomatoes and heat briefly. Serve warm over couscous or as a side.

No comments: