Pages

Saturday, May 09, 2009

C-A-P-S Caps Caps Caps!

In case you are not a hockey fan, right now is Stanley Cup Playoff time. I didn't watch much hockey growing up. Sure we had the sharks and I even had some friends who went to games here and there, but I didn't really get into hockey until last fall. It all started when M bought me tickets to the Caps for my birthday. One game and I was hooked. Since then I have been to a handful of other Caps games and have been watching M play in his adult hockey league.

There's something to be said about watching a hockey game live. The cool air off the ice, the slap of the puck as it hits the hockey stick, the thrill of the goal as the crowd goes wild . . . it's awesome. And lucky for me last Monday M and I had the opportunity to attend one of the play-off games.

The Caps were up 1-0 in the series of seven games and by the end of the game Monday they were up 2-0. Not only did we win but the game was intense the entire evening. We had great seats on the lower level on the corner of the rink and for the first time eve I caught one of the falling t-shirts. They drop them attached to a parachute from the rafters at the end of the game in celebration. Lucky for M the shirt was way too big for me so he added a new shirt to his collection of Caps apparel.

Sadly since that game the Caps have gone on to lose two games in Pittsburgh and now the series is tied 2-2. I would love to be at the Verizon Center tonight cheering on the Caps as they are finally playing aggressively and playing like the team I am used to. I just hope they can keep it together through the next period and a half and then take the series next week in Pittsburgh.

UPDATE: The caps just lost in overtime, leaving the series at 3-2 Penguins. :(

No comments: