Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

I walk, do you?

A lot of my patients complain to me that the reason they aren't exercising is it is too cold outside. I often give them recommendations on things they can do inside their house (walk in front of the TV, exercise video, dance to music in the living room, hula hoop, etc) but I also ask them whether they have a hat, scarf, gloves and a good winter coat. When they say "Yes", I say, "Then you can go outside."

And to prove it to them, that's exactly what I did today. Despite the 11F temperatures I put on: a long sleeved shirt, cardigan, fleece cardigan, jacket, winter coat, two hats, the hood on my coat, gloves and a scarf and walked myself the 10 minutes to work. Yes my legs were a little cold with the work pants I was wearing but by the time I got there my hands were hot and I was ready to peel off some layers.

So there you have it. If I can go outside for a walk, maybe my patients will too!

No comments: