Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

DC Weekend

I had quite the interesting weekend. Friday night my coworkers invited me to join them on their boat for a trip down the Potomac. We launched the boat from a park right by national airport. **Mental note to self: next time you want to watch the airplanes land, go here.** After boarding the boat and making sure everyone had the appropriate life vests we travelled down the river, past old town Alexandria, under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and over to National Harbor, located on the Maryland side of the Potomac.

Little did I know that one of the sights of DC that I've been wanting to see would be waiting there for me when I got off the boat. Apparently "The Awakening" was moved from it's original location in DC to National Harbor. The Awakening is a huge face, hand and foot that appears to be climbing out of the sand, or sinking into it depending on how you look at it. It was pretty cool to see it but even more exciting to climb on the foot and face emerging from the sand. Even more cool was the fact this was accompanied by a live band covering country songs. I couldn't have been happier! After a few drinks inside the atrium of the Gaylord hotel we boarded the boat and returned back to the airport. If you had told me before the trip that I wouldn't be getting home until 1am I would have never believed you!

Sunday was gorgeously sunny so I took advantage of the weather and strolled around some of the monuments. Apparently I am a little attracted to the Potomac lately. I parked right next to it and then wandered around the tidal basin to the Jefferson memorial and then along the mall. It's so hard to believe that it's already the end of August. Soon enough the weather will turn and so will the leaves and everything in DC will start to look that little bit different. I love fall but I will miss my sunny afternoons for strolling around.

No comments: