Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Vegetarian Moroccan Couscous

Today's lunchbox has a melange of items I found in my kitchen:
Lentil salad with salmon patty
Kashi Granola Bar - honey almond flax
1/2 cup yogurt with 2 tsp flax seed and 1 tsp sweetened chestnut
Celery sticks with crunchy natural peanut butter
After raiding my pantry I realized I had a box of couscous that I haven't touched in the past month. So today I present to you an adapted Barefoot Contessa recipe. It seemed like an easy dish to throw together with the ingredients I have on hand and the leftovers will be a perfect little something extra to take to work for lunch tomorrow.

4 tbsp butter/margarine
3/4 cup chopped shallots
3 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted*
1/4 cup currants

Melt the butter/margarine in a medium pot, add the shallots and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the vegetable stock. Raise the heat until the stock is boiling, add the couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let the couscous sit for 10 minutes. Add the pine nuts and currants, stir and serve.


*To toast any nuts place in a medium frying pan over medium heat, stir constantly until golden.

ADDENDUM
This is a super easy dish to throw together. However since it is very midly flavored I suggest you pair it with an entree that has a lot of flavor.

No comments: