Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Gordon Update

About 6 months ago I had the pleasure of having my parents pet birds stay with me and my roommate. During that time I noticed that Gordon, the lovebird, had a little growth on her toe. I wasn't sure whether it was a cut that was healing or a growth so when my parents returned from their vacation I made sure to ask my mom about it. She hadn't noticed it before and said she would keep her eye on it. Unfortunately during the past months it didn't heal and instead appeared to be getting bigger.

A couple of weeks ago my mom took Gordon to the vet and they decided it was best to remove the growth from Gordon's toe. The surgery to remove the growth went really well however Gordon had to be fitted with a plastic collar around her neck (not unlike those given to dogs, except facing the other direction) to prevent her from pulling the bandage off of her toe. This meant that not only could she no longer pick at her toe, she also couldn't fly. For the past two weeks Gordon has been busy running circles around my parents apartment instead of flying. She also has become a little more cuddly with my Mother.

Last week Gordon had the collar removed and we found out that the growth was spindle cell sarcoma. For now Gordon appears to be fine and has returned to her normal mischief. If the growth comes back we'll take her to the vet to have her toe removed. Hopefully it won't grow back and this will be the end of it.


Gordon and her beautiful toes

1 comment:

Goombella said...

Oh Gordo--she is the cutest. I hope her toe gets better, but at least losing a toe isn't that bad (if it comes to that)! Anyway, thanks for the honky tonk birthday e-card. My mom was here for a party and it was great. Later potater!