Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Biggest Scare of my Life

About a month ago I made an appointment to take my Registered Dietitian Exam. With no job and parents coming to visit the weekend after the scheduled test date, I figured it was perfect. Just long enough to really study and not long enough to procrastinate. Unfortunately life happens; I got a job and my parents decided not to come visit that weekend.

Needless to say my previous 8 hour study days have now turned into 8 hour work days plus about an hour a day of studying. I know at best this amount of studying is poor, so I made plans to reschedule my exam. When I called the testing center on Monday I found out that I didn't have the correct information with me. Apparently you need your authorization number which is not your ADA membership number, nor the random number printed on your application to test. I was assured that if I called back that evening or the following morning I would be able to reschedule. Unfortuantely, between going for a two mile run and helping a friend with a "situation", I completely forgot to call the testing center last night. Imagine my surprise this morning when I finally called the testing center only to have them tell me they could not reschedule my test because I was within the 48 hr period of no-rescheduling. It was 11:05 am my time, 10:05 am central time, and I apparently would have had to call before 10:00am central time to reschedule. I lost it.

Not only was I going to have to take two days off of work effective immeadiately, I was also going to have to stay up for the next 48 hours cramming everything I could about nutrition into my little brain, in the hopes that it would be enough to pass on Thursday. That or pay another $175 to reschedule the exam. I was freaking out. So I did what any normal human being would do and I went to the higher power. After four phone calls I finally reached a human being at the Commission on Dietetic Registry and she was able to help me reschedule my exam. Phew, crisis averted. I now have until October 18th to get my act together and study. Yup, I have decided instead of keeping my test date a secret I am going to type it for everyone to read. Now it's your responsibility to make sure I stick to my test date. Rescheduling is not an option (well it actually is, I can reschedule as many times as I like, but for me I need to stop procrastinating and just get this thing over with, I'm taking today's situation as a sign).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes!!! I figure that's why you get married - so you have someone there to calm you down when stuff like this happens