Generally I am not drawn to recipes with too many ingredients. However, I found that I had the majority of the ingredients for this Indian spice inspired vegetarian dish already in my cupboard. Pretty much everything except for the coconut milk. So I decided to give it a try. Simple to put together it's meant to be cooked in a slow cooker but I did it on the stove top in a 6 qt. pot and the results were fabulous!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp grated peeld fresh ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cut green beans (fresh or frozen)
- black pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk
1. Heat oil in 6 qt. pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot, cover and cooke 5 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder, sugar, ginger, garlic; cooke 1 minute, stirring constantly.
2. Add garbanzo beans and next 6 ingredients (through broth). Cover and simmer over medium/medium-low heat until vegetables are tender. Add spinach and coconut milk; stir until spinach wilts. Serve over couscous or as is.
Yields: 6 (1 1/3 cup servings)