Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Nutrition Research

Yesterday was my first day at my new rotation . . . and it was wonderful! For the next five weeks I am going to be working on a research study that is tracking the effects of nutrition and exercise interventions on overweight latino adolescents. The experimental groups either come in for nutrition classes once a week or they come in for nutrition class once a week combined with weight training/strengthening twice a week. It's a really cool program and the lab that they hold all the classes in is state of the art. They have a full gym (which staff can use in the mornings) connected to a demo kitchen so the kids can partake in the cooking portion and actually have hands on learning. The study also requires the family to come in for classes, which are held in Spanish, so that they can support their children in healthy lifestyle changes.
 
Usually first few days of a new rotation are orientation days; meeting the staff, seeing the facilities and learning a little bit about what is expected of you as an intern. However, yesterday, I jumped right in. One of the intervention classes was being held in the afternoon and not only was I asked to help with the prep work but I also got to participate/observe the intervention. This means that while I am busy spending my days entering data and doing diet recalls I actually understand who the participants are and what they are going through. The best part was that yesterday's class was on aguas de sabor, something I wrote about back when I was in Mexico ( http://easierthanscrapbooking.blogspot.com/2006/07/bebidas.html) I found myself being suddenly transported back to last summer and realized just how much I miss Mexico. I actually made, taught and watched the making of agua de pepino and agua de sandia. Plus I got to practice my spanish by takling with the parents and listening in on the parent class. I think this is the best first day I have ever had anywhere.
 
So yeah, I guess you can say I am excited about this new rotation. Today was a little bit slow, but I learned how to use NDS which is nationally recognized nutrition analysis software, definitely something to add to the resume. And even though it was a slow day I found it was time to leave before I knew it. I hope to get involved in some of the other studies they have going on and finding out as much as I can about research possibilities. Heck, maybe this will inspire me to get my PhD! I hear it's a great way of avoiding joining the working world . . . .

No comments: