Pages

Friday, June 23, 2006

Scones

One of the best parts about cooking is getting recipes from friends. Now that I have found the world of food blogs I've discovered loads of new friends. Today's recipe comes from my friend at Everybody Loves Sandwiches. If you haven't checked out her food blog I think it's a must see. Gorgeous pictures and delicious recipes on a beautifully laid out blog. I was looking for a simple recipe to use up stuff in my fridge, mainly milk and butter, before I leave for Mexico and was feeling a little nostalgic since this week would have been my grandmother's 96th birthday. I decided to take a stab at Molly's Scones.

I remember the first time I made scones. I didn't follow the "roll out the dough gently" portion of the recipe and they ended up resembling hockey pucks. Although dense I still enjoyed them. Molly's recipe is perfect for avoiding the same mistakes, no rolling needed. And they require so few ingredients, it would be easy to whip them up for afternoon tea when surprise visitors stop by.



Molly's Scones

  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1 egg

  • 2 cups flour

  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 cup butter

  • 3 tablespoons sugar

Preaheat oven to 425F. In a small bowl mix together milk and egg until frothy; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in butter with your fingers until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add sugar and milk/egg mixture. Combine to a smooth dough, kneading slightly. Mold dough into a circle, slice into 8 triangles. Brush tops of scones with milk and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.

No comments: