Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Whole Wheat Crepes


One of the things I love about long weekends, or weekends in general for that matter, is the opportunity to sleep in and make a delicious breakfast. There's nothing like getting up at 10 and using the next two hours to make and enjoy a special weekend treat.

I remember as a kid my parents would leave the cereal boxes on the table and a small jug of milk in the fridge. That way when my brother and I got up early to watch cartoons we could fix our own breakfast without waking our parents up. As we got a little older and starting sleeping in a little bit more we were roused out of bed with the promise of pancakes. Dad was the pancake king and I remember sitting there with my brother as my dad would bring pancake after pancake out of the kitchen. Unfortunately all good things come to an end at some point, and before I knew it it was me who was making the pancakes.

In case you haven't noticed, old habits die hard and I often find myself making pancakes on the weekend. However, this morning I decided I would try something different. I haven't made crepes in a very long time and with only a cup of flour in my house I knew that I wasn't going to be able to make pancakes. I also wanted something that could be either savory or sweet, as I hadn't made my mind up what I was feeling like for breakfast.

I used Alton Brown's crepe recipe from the food network and altered it slightly.

Whole Wheat Crepes
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Pam
Combine all ingredients (except Pam) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. To avoid lumps I usually add the liquid bit by bit to the flour until I get a nice smooth batter. Place mixture in fridge for 20 minutes while you prepare fillings**.




Heat a large pan over medium heat. Lightly coat pan with Pam. Pour 1/4 cup (1 oz) of batter into pan, immediately swirling to allow batter to coat the pan thinly. Alternately you can use the back of a spoon to spread the batter across the pan. Cook for 30 seconds or until no longer wet, flip and cook other side. Remove to plate to cool. Makes about 10 crepes. Crepes can be stored in the fridge for several days or in the freezer for two months.

**Fillings are as numerous and varied as you want them to be. This morning I scrambled an egg and added some goodies from my freezer, corn and sofrito. Mmmm. I was also planning on creating an antioxidant crepe with blueberries and dark chocolate. Unfortunately my crepes were too filling to get that far, but I'll be looking forward to them later this afternoon.

No comments: