Pages

Friday, March 07, 2008

Pound Cake

In college, one of my roommates always returned from a trip home with her mother's pound cake. Moist and flavorful it was one of the best treats brought into our house/apartment. Since then I have always wanted to try to make pound cake but I guess I have just never gotten around to it. Well tonight was the night and I have to say, I don't know why I waited this long. If the smell of the loaves in the oven wasn't enough, the pound cake came out perfectly moist and delicious.

2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
5 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk

Heat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour two loaf pans.

Beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Beat 1 cup flour mixture into sugar mixture until smooth. Add 1/2 cup milk, mix until smooth. Repeat until all flour and milk has been mixed into the batter.

Pour batter into loaf pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.

Give one loaf away to a friend, enjoy the other all by yourself. Alternately you can put one in the freezer until you finish the first.

No comments: