Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2007

A Weekend of Lessons Learned

This past Friday one of my new friends took me salsa dancing for the first time and it was so much fun! The evening started off with dance lessons where we learned the basic step, a couple of basic turns and then a sequence of moves. After a few hours it switched to an open floor so that we could practice everything we had learned. At certain points during the dance lesson I couldn't help but think we were learning life lessons as well.
  • While learning the cross-body lead, the instructor reminded the men that the important part of the move was to get out of the way of the woman. Life lesson: Men, get out of the way of women.
  • One part of the sequence of moves was a free spin by the ladies. The men were taught to suggest the movement and then they were told it was up to the woman to decide how much she wanted to spin. Life lesson: Men suggest, women make the decision based on what they want.
Tonight, Saturday night, I went out with a different new friend to Georgetown. We started out the night at a cocktail party and then headed to the bars to see what else was going on. Unfortunately the nightlife in Georgetown was disappointing and we ended up catching a taxi home. Fortunately, we had one of the most entertaining taxi drivers I have ever come across in DC. She provided us with this life lesson about dating:
  • "If you want to find a good man, don't fish in polluted waters."
  • "If you want to fish in fresh waters, make sure you aren't bringing the pollution with you."
All in all I would say it was a very educational weekend!

4 comments:

nicole said...

I am jealous- you have a life. In a week (when finals are over), I hope to find one of those too.

irene said...

oh wow, that's quite profound, the question is, where do you find water that has quality fish?

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

Good question, one I posed myself. Her answer, "You have to ask the Lord. He'll tell you who to date."

irene said...

Hahaha, that's awesome. He's going to answer me any time now, I believe it!