Pages

Monday, July 02, 2007

On the Road Day Three - TX, AK

I'm happy to say that we have finally made it out of Texas and here in Arkansas the weather is much nicer. Well, for the most part. Dad and I left this morning at 5:30 am and headed off on Interstate 35 through Austin and Dallas before heading East towards Arkansas. On the whole, the drive was pretty un-eventful. Just a lot of flat land and open highway in front of us. We hit a few storms along the way, but nothing too drastic, although it was a little bit disconcerting when this conversation occurred:

Dad (looking down at gear shift)
Me: What are you looking for?
Dad: Oh I was just checking what gears I have with your car.
Me: Why?
Dad: Just in case I begin to hydroplane off of the highway.


Texas in the rain


Luckily it was only a conversation. This is the first time either of us have been in Arkansas and so far we're unimpressed. I'm sure once you get off of the main interstate there are some really lovely parts of the state, but off of Interstate 40 it's not that interesting. I also think that Arkansas has a weird obsession with naming things. Take for example the following:


This is the city that straddles the border of Texas and Arkansas, as you may be able to tell by the name. Texarkana.

This city must be Arkansas' version of Philadelphia.


Dad and I also noticed how clean the interstate was. We came up with two reasons why.
  1. Because the fine for littering is $1000
  2. Because of these fabulous billboards

1 comment:

Paige said...

Woohoo...on the road again. =) Keep your stories coming, I love to check in on your progress! If you need a place to stay while you wait for your stuff to arrive just let us know!