Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Great Wall

Despite having to get up at 6 o'clock on a Saturday morning, today was the most incredible day yet. After figuring out a small issue with the Chinese taxis (ours being that we had two show up when we called for one, both fighting to take us as passengers) we left Beijing and headed up to Simatai, one of the less touristy parts of the Great Wall. Thanks to a thunder storm last night the weather was a little cooler today and a little clearer.

When we arrived at the wall we bought our tickets and began our climb to the top of the hill. We then spent three hours walking along the wall between the different towers. It was absolutely incredible. The views of the wall snaking over the mountains was breathtaking and I can now proudly check off "visiting the great wall" from my list of things to do before I die.




The highlight of the afternoon was our discovery of the flying fox on the way back to the parking lot. The flying fox is a zipline that takes you from the edge of the mountain over the river and down to the riverbank below. Once you reach the riverbank it is a short boat ride back to the parking lot. Although I was a little apprehensive about the ride, I have to say it was more than worth the $5 dollars it cost. It definitely felt like an "Amazing Race" moment.


Tomorrow we pack up and head off to Shanghai. It will be great to see a new city in China and get to see some new sights. Unfortunately it also means we'll be leaving the laptop and internet connection behind, so I can't say when the next post will be. But do know that I will be thoroughly enjoying myself until I am able to write again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so, so jealous. I just had the travel weekend from hell and I so wish I had been on the great wall instead of on the greyhound bus... Keep having a blast, girl!!