Pages

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Couscous Stuffed Peppers

One of the food blogs that I often find myself perusing is that of smitten kitchen. If you haven't checked out the link on my page I suggest you do, but only if you have time to drool over her gorgeous pictures. I came across this recipe of hers in a post about how she doesn't always post pictures of the foods she cooks. Even though the picture didn't turn out to her liking, I was definitely hooked and now I can cross another food I want to make off of my list. This is the original Feta and Couscous Stuffed Peppers Recipe and below is my recipe with a few modifications.



  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth

  • 2/3 cup whole wheat couscous

  • 2 tsp olive oil

  • 1 cup chopped onion

  • 3/4 tsp fennel seeds

  • 3/4 tsp oregano

  • 1 zuchinni quartered and sliced

  • 2 yellow squash quartered and sliced

  • 4 large bell peppers

  • 3 tbsp tomato paste

  • 15 oz canned chickpeas drained and rinsed

  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved

In a small pot, boil the vegetable broth and add the couscous. Bring back to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let stand. In a large skillet, or wok, combine olive oil, onion, fennel seeds, and oregano cook over medium heat until fragrant. Add zuchinni and yellow squash, cook until soft.

While onions, zuchinni, and squash are cooking wash the bell peppers. Cut the stems and the top 1/2 inch off the peppers, remove the seeds and membrances. When onion/zuchinni/squash mixture is soft add tomato paste and mix well. Add chickpeas and couscous and mix well. Add tomatoes and gently mix.

Fill each of the peppers with the vegetable couscous mixture. Place peppers in a baking dish, bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Serve immeadiately.

No comments: