Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Hot Fatties- $0.25

Yesterday my roommate, E, and I went to Olvera Street, a thriving Mexican marketplace in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. It's been on our list of things to do for a while and it was the perfect way to get in the mood for Mexico. Can you believe my trip's only 7 days away?!

The highlight of the visit was the Olvera Street Museum. Just next to the old fire station, it's a large room containing a model of Olvera Street, a video about Olvera Street, and a picture timeline of the history of Olvera Street. One picture in particular caught my attention. It was a woman of Olvera Street making fresh Gorditas. Thanks to Taco Bell most of us know Gorditas by that name. However, in this picture the vendor had translated her sign "Gorditas calientes" into english, hence the name of the blog. Maybe it's just me, but I think something gets lost in the translation.

Outside of the museums there are numerous tiendas y restaurantes. One of the things I am looking forward to in Puebla is the shopping. Apparently Puebla is known for its production of arts and crafts including but not limited to Talavara Ceramics, engravings and bark paper paintings, onyx and marble objects, and textiles. El Parian and El Barrio del Artista are marketplaces that specialize in handmade crafts which I know I'll be visiting. I just need to remember to sharpen my bargaining skills while I am there.

No comments: